Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

Is Chrome shit?

Do pages take forever to load or just finally crash?

I notice this between a bunch of diff computers.. got the newest version and everything.

Or is the internet just generally slower now since more ppl are on it?

I always found Chrome to be a bit fruity as a browser, so I rarely use it. Would not surprise me if the performance was sub-standard on some machines.

If page load-time is an issue, change to a different browser; it's not that they all handle the various web scripting languages the exact same way.

Chrome doesn't even load for me anymore. Used to be my fav but now I've gone back to Explorer. Sucks ass!

Yeah... Actually I've tried shifting between browsers on a few pcs and it's like they're all f**ked.

Could it be that so many ppl are using the net these days that it's not efficient enough to cope with everything smoothly? Is that ridiculous?

if its all your browsers acting up I'd start by checking your machine for viruses and the like, then look at your networking to see if the problem is there.

Chrome is the fastest browser I have.

works fine for me. made the switch from firefox due to new ff interface thats looks like crap... actually writing this on a chrome os laptop

Edited by junkie

Hmm okay. Seems like lots of ppl unwittingly have these browser slowing viruses then. I notice on one particular pc it's when you open fb or YouTube it just f**king crashes.

So I'm curious, is my little theory about the net being slower due to more users - ridiculous?

If anything, i've noticed faster page loading on Chrome recently compared to any other browser.

The interwebs are not broke just yet, we just live in Australia.

Was just in the states and it was the same.

No issues to report here; I use Chrome as my primary browser. First point for web dev as well. I had issues with Firefox ages ago because it was scarfing down all my memory.

Hmm okay. Seems like lots of ppl unwittingly have these browser slowing viruses then. I notice on one particular pc it's when you open fb or YouTube it just f**king crashes.

So I'm curious, is my little theory about the net being slower due to more users - ridiculous?

I remembered reading this the other day. Ive had no issues though.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/online/the-internet-broke-yesterday-and-it-was-all-because-of-the-number-512/story-fnjwnhzf-1227023949109

As someone who has done a lot of programming for web services as well as a lot of web development, I can firmly tell you that internet explorer is shit haha. Ask any developer that ;)

As for load times, data is data, so that comes down to your bandwidth, the processing done by each browser is negligible in reference to speed, processing differences will affect the appearance & functionality more than any difference in speed. In terms of overall speed, it is the RAM used by browsers that you want to have a look at. I haven't willingly used IE for years, but between chrome and firefox, chrome is much better. When I used to use Opera, that was quite good as well, but that was a couple of years ago as well.

tl;dr same "speed", but if you use a lot of tabs and shit, it would probably be best to explore which browser uses the least RAM per process...

As someone who has done a lot of programming for web services as well as a lot of web development, I can firmly tell you that internet explorer is shit haha. Ask any developer that ;)

As for load times, data is data, so that comes down to your bandwidth, the processing done by each browser is negligible in reference to speed, processing differences will affect the appearance & functionality more than any difference in speed. In terms of overall speed, it is the RAM used by browsers that you want to have a look at. I haven't willingly used IE for years, but between chrome and firefox, chrome is much better. When I used to use Opera, that was quite good as well, but that was a couple of years ago as well.

tl;dr same "speed", but if you use a lot of tabs and shit, it would probably be best to explore which browser uses the least RAM per process...

browsers render pages differently. the speed of your connection is by far the biggest factor, but all things being equal, one browser will render a page faster than another. Depends on a lot of factors.

do a speed test on the internet connection using your phone and your computer.

that will help to eliminate the network from computer problems.

I find both FireFox and Chrome use heaps of ram, the more tabs open the worse it gets, the longer the session goes for the worst it gets. I'm talking like days here with multiple tabs open, or watching lots of yt stuff in new tabs/closing them ect....

I also use pinned tabs and find the initial loading of the pages to chug the computer. but internet is fine being about 10Mbps on average.

of course, other programs use resources as well, so you can't rule out just the browser as well.

Chrome is good because it runs flash and java in a sandbox, meaning it has a lot less opportunity to f**k your computer up.

Firefox has put out more than twice the amount of versions of IE in half the time and they still chew memory like a fat kid at a cake fair. its also ugly as balls.

browsers render pages differently. the speed of your connection is by far the biggest factor, but all things being equal, one browser will render a page faster than another. Depends on a lot of factors.

Yeah, but the way they render them differently only affects functionality and appearance. The HTTP protocol is the HTTP protocol, that doesn't change from browser to browser. The whole point of a protocol is to be uniform. The only difference in "speed" between browsers is pre-processing/processing which is easily

tl;dr as mentioned in my other post, the only difference that will ever impact you is how efficiently the devs have coded the browser, i.e. stuff like how much each new process (tab) a browser takes up in CPU and RAM resources, so yes, you can see a significant difference in system resource usage from browser to browser, but in terms of data, it will be the same, ti is more what environment the browser is running in. Anyway, I have found chrome to be the best and that's what I use for my main browsing....but I haven't really checked out other browsers in a while...