Sign in to follow this  
Lucas.

DRUMMERS!

Cheers for the info and links BennyBear/Spazo...I have actually played one of their earlier versions of this kits (many moons ago when they first came out with mesh heads) and was pretty impressed.

As much as i would love one of these kits I just can't justify it...The electronic kit will be for home practice only and won't replace my standard kit (still using that for gigs) so I don’t really need a full blown pro electronic kit.

I also have some really good contacts at Yamaha (ie half price kits!) and was the main reason for looking at the DXplorer and DTXpress…

Thanks again

Yeah I'm going nuts with drum gear lately...

I was trying to change my cymbals setup after a good 8-9 years of the same old and I just cracked the shits at my stands and drove up to Sydney to get whatever they had in terms of racks. I googled around for 5 mins before leaving and the Yamaha Hex rack is sexy as hell but I just couldn't be bothered waiting, not even for a curved pearl rack to come in stock @ billy hydes. Gavin Harrison uses this rack (Icon DR501) on his Sonor kit and he is a very anal perfectionist dude so couldn't really go wrong. I got 3 extra clamps and everything is good. Took me a while to figure out how to line the toms up properly... the trick is to angle the arms of toms that stick out too far so that you can get everything nice and even.

kitnew.jpg

I also replaced that broken china that I'd made into a stack using another broken crash and it sounds pretty nice - not exactly what I wanted in a china but it has a nice gong sorta sound. I need to place it a little better but right now I'm enjoying the rest of the setup - can't believe I left my ride in that gay fusion position for so many years when it feels so much better being low down, and moving my smaller crash closer to the center just makes it 50x more usable. I guess I'm in the process of overhauling shit because I've neglected it too long, and it's getting me back into the drums a bit. Tried the pearl demon drive double kick pedal while I was there and I loved it - I won't buy it until I've tried the axis but I doubt the axis will be better. Got some new skins too, yet to fit.

I'm also retraining my hand technique - my left hand is totally functional at speed but I use too much wrist with it and compared to my right it just looks retarted... switching to French grip so that I can only rely on fingers. Good idea?

its looking good man. try out meinl cymbals. how are the ufip cymbals going? happy with them

The missus has bought a bass, so her kit is sitting unused at home. Decided I'm going to get some drum lessons next year & learn to play.

I'm looking forward to the challenge that i should've taken up 16 years ago.

^ Drums rool.

its looking good man. try out meinl cymbals. how are the ufip cymbals going? happy with them

Thanks mate. I reckon Ufips are the best... this is with lots of back to back testing, I really don't understand why they're not popular.

^^contacts at yamaha?!?! how much can you get a 5 piece maple absolute????

Sorry mate, i missed your reply....I have no idea but could ask, he was getting the electronic kits around half price...not sure if the acustic kits are the same deal

Have to agree with Spazo...Ufips are amazing cymbals and extremely strong (spun when casting) I had a full ufip setup but sold them all when i stopped playing 6 years ago :( Only reason I went with Paiste this time was local availability…ufips are hard to come by down here :(

yeh they are actually not alot of places here selling them at all.

please tell me ur contact gets half price acoustic kits...if so i'll get one from him!!!!!!!!!yamaha maple absolute ftw!!

has anyone seen anton figs new kit on the david letterman show? red and black laquer finish...its freakin sexy!!

Ok, since Spazo has posted some of his playing i'll put up a clip too. Taken from a concert entitled 'The Music Is Bond... James Bond' which featured the music associated with all the Bond films.

More clips from the same show here (all in HQ)...

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=B0A206D3C0AC0175

That's class man. Center stage with a tux hehehe. Wicked drumming, your kit sounds and looks great too. That chick is pretty amazing as well.

Post as much as you want.

I wanna make a few more videos, still trying to decide what to cover.

I wanna make a few more videos, still trying to decide what to cover.

Can I request it be something by Clutch? :lol:

woah thats tuff man. awesome gig u got there LoL and ur rig is hot as. DW's are nice as.

Have any of you drummers in here used/tried Meinl cymbals? I was looking at their site today & am pretty keen to get some of their range for the kit i'm using - old pearl forum with a 12" Sonor snare and some shitty Paiste cymbals. It needs new hats, a new crash and a new ride but given it's the g/f's kit i'm trying to convince her to pay for them - kind of like the way i pay some shit on her car.

The entry level meinl's are just as bad as the entry level zildjians and what not...

I reckon the best cheap hats are Sabian B8 pro's... they're heaps raspy.

Agreed. My B8 hats are still going strong, and I've given them a good thrashing over the years.

Agreed. I've had my B8 hats and ride for 5 years and I've busted the B8 16" crash and split an 18" AA, but the hats and ride are f**king invunerable!

Also, on elec kits, I have a Roland TD-3 to practice with. It's good fun but it really doesnt compare to my acoustic kit in feel or sound. I have fun screwing around on it for an hour or so a day, but I'd much prefer to play my acoustic kit. It set me back about $2k probably 2 years ago.

Hit crashes/chinas with a glancing blow and they last forever.. and try not to hit the edge much.

the meinl mcs are rubbish but the classics are pretty good but yes the B8 sabians are pretty nice as i had them for a short while and they can take a beating.

ur B8 16" crash lasted for 8 months? far out dude how card do you hit these things?i have some cheap german made cymbals called magic and i have them in 14" hats and 16" crash and they are what you'd expect from a $150 set of cymbals but i have had them for 7 years and they haven't got any cracks or anything bad on them. play with ur stuff properly and it tends to last longer lol.

My plans to obtain a kit haven't worked as I would've liked. Ages ago when my g/f moved from Adelaide to live with me she couldn't bring her kit in her car, so I went halves with her in a new Tama starter kit. Since then she's got her Pearl Forum kit over from Adelaide and had lent the Tama kit to a friend to see if they wanted to buy it. After expressing to her friend that I wanted to learn and we'd like the kit back as the friend hadn't expressed any interest in learning or buying it, the friend turns around and claims they're now interested and have bought some more stuff to go with it. *richard cranium*!!

However I did see a nice package kit today, Pearl Forum FZ Rock kit:

14" Snare (that I'd replace with a Mike Mangini signature series)

10" 12" & 13" rack toms

16" floor tom

22" kick with double kick pedal

Zildjian Planet Z Ride, Crash & Hats

all hardware, seat

White finish, black casings

Package price $1599

Here's an idea of what the kit looks like as a 5 piece

PearlForumLTDEDWhiteRock_2.jpg

Seriously considering getting it as it's about $2400 worth.

I'd jump straight up to the mid range stuff if funds permit... remember you'll have them for years. I like yamaha stage customs and premier cabrias like EDDGTR has, they should be in that sorta price range. I don't really know what else is good but they're two mid-range kits that I always liked.

I'm in the hunt for some new skins. Currently running a mish-mash of Remos, but I'd like try something else. Suggestions?

I use evans ec2 clears mate, give them a go. They have the control ring so they're easy to tune. They last me ages too, they're a thicker sorta skin but not too thick like the remo pinstripes are.

Yup, love my Premiers. Great shells. Stick some good heads on them and they are lovely :)

Do any of use get cramps in between your thumb bit , i get this maddd cramp i stretch it and all that but it all happens

Do any of use get cramps in between your thumb bit , i get this maddd cramp i stretch it and all that but it all happens

That's from masterbating!

That's from masterbating!

LIES

I bet your grip is too tight.

Maybe

but im conestly re-gripping the sticks while im playing, so i dont think its that.

Well to give you an idea... you only want it to be tight enough that if you are holding it upright it doesn't slide out of your hand and hit the floor. If it's not your grip then maybe you injured it doing something else and you're only noticing it when you play drums.

Yeah ima try some deep heat on it before hand.

Sorry I can't embed, but this is a guy I know (Legnum owner!) from Sydney doing a hi-hat solo...just nuts...