Sign in to follow this  
kapowww

Entry level road bike

Hey guys I'm trying to get fit through cycling coz it seems that the impact from jogging isn't too kind to my joints (maybe it's the Nike Free shoes + hard concrete paths).

I'm looking for an entry level road bike around the $200 mark (I know it's hard to find a good quality one) but stumbled across a Reid Condor that's made in Melbourne.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REID-ROAD-BIKE-BRAN...:1|293:2|294:50

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/index.htm

Anyone had any experience with these bikes?

Also what do I look out for when looking for an entry level road bike?

Cheers.

You could pick up something better second-hand for the same price. Personally I would avoid this bike and any other Ebay special like the plague. 'Ebay specials' are piles of junk disguised to look like a decent bike with some kind of generic name ('Reid') as opposed to a cheap bike that doesn't pretend to be anything else.

To call the componentry on this bike 'basic' is to gild the lily, honestly it has a bloody threaded stem which I haven't seen on a road or MTB in the last 10 years. Also has stem-mounted shifters (unusual) which are a seperate unit to the brake levers, which could make for some tricky maneuvring. Some of that componentry I would deem downright dangerous, looking at those cranks, brakes, that stem, the wheelset, etc etc etc.

Tons of people sell used roadies cheap so keep your eyes out on Ebay, The Tradingpost and wherever else and you'll snag something decent.

BTW there are much more effective ways to get fit as opposed to running or cycling. Search this post re high-intensity interval training and Tabata and you'll find a much more effective approach that will build strength as well as stamina.

Goodluck!

^^^^

Agreed! I've got an Avanti kicking around in the garage somewhere and I'll vouch for em.

Hey guys I'm trying to get fit through cycling coz it seems that the impact from jogging isn't too kind to my joints (maybe it's the Nike Free shoes + hard concrete paths).

I'm looking for an entry level road bike around the $200 mark (I know it's hard to find a good quality one) but stumbled across a Reid Condor that's made in Melbourne.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/REID-ROAD-BIKE-BRAN...:1|293:2|294:50

http://www.reidcycles.com.au/index.htm

Anyone had any experience with these bikes?

Also what do I look out for when looking for an entry level road bike?

Cheers.

hm - i've think i've seen you around hoppers before....you drive the audi with blacked out lights yeah?

you look pretty fit to me - good body. i say dont waste your money on the bike and just watch what you eat - that's all. cut out sugary drinks & snacks, make sure you don't eat certain foods past a time eg heavy carbs after 6pm and stuff like. drink lots of water and you'll be set. and keep up the jogging - invest in a good pair of runners. riding will kill your count.

btw - i've seen you jog around hoppers before, up past the plaza and back - and you look hot

hey guys,

I got one of the reid condors a few months ago on ebay.

I thought of buying an old giant but in my price range all i could get was someone elses problem, they all had gearing that needed some sort of work done, new tires and a service. The REID condor has been great, I ride about 40 kms a day to get to work and back and its goes really well.

once a month about 6 of us go for about a 160km ride with mostly flat roads with a few hills in it and im stoked the bike. some of the guys have giants and avantis and i keep up no worries.

The fact its cheap, brand new and has a warranty seemed better than an used bike as i did some enquiring at bike shops and spares were pretty damn epensive.

definitly a good buy for the price.

^^^^

Really?!? Are you an Ebay seller who Googled 'reid condor' and posted this? Does the Condor have some kind of puncture-proof tubes that don't ever need replacing? The "spares were pretty damn expensive" bit has got confused!

two users have lost their post virginity in this shit thread

and are you still waiting to lose yours?

if you spend anything less than $800 on a road bike you're wasting your money.

Just me or does this thread sound dodgy as hell?

I think if you buy that bike you will regret it. Do what has already been suggested and look for a second hand well known brand. Better to be safe than sorry

Oh and nice burn Mirander...

I bought one because I just wanted something to commute and casual ride, was on a tight budget and was sick of seeing useless rusted junk or overpriced carbon on ebay and gumtree.

Just got the entry level condor flat bar. Its a cheap bike made of simple components. If you are a serious rider then they aren't for you.

I'm really happy with it and the warranty and support is awesome - I can just drop it in any time for a service.

After looking around on the net for a bit Reid seem to be getting a bit of a raw deal on various forums and I can't see why. They are a local Australian owned and operated company making bikes for a specific market so nothing wrong with supporting them

Can't say whether or not the other people are fakes, but I've been on NS for a long time....The first post saying Reid cycles are alright joined in 09 but never posted til now...strange all round, but unlikely it's the seller...

Did I mention I know the owner of Reid Cycles... I won't say shit about the bikes because I know nothing about them, but I doubt any of the above are him....

Dude this thread is from 09, same time that guy signed up lol

so it is! didn't even check the date because I'd never seen this thread in this section before so I assumed it was new... my mistake

his bikes have probably improved a bit since then, I know shit all about bikes, but they look good in the photos on his facebook lol

68728_105164116217804_100001726473666_33951_2596554_n.jpg

you get what you pay for with bikes...

this is my bike, had it for a few months now

167002_488895943546_635603546_6214738_4756778_n.jpg