Sign in to follow this  
STR8E180

over heating issues with laptop

yeah i already tried that

they emailed me a driver to try and fix the problem but it didnt work so i sent it to them to fix

still not back yet hopefuly i returns 2morrow

im hanging to play my sniper game

just called warranty to see wats going on with my laptop and why it was taking so long

they are replacing the heat sink and thermo fan and they didnt have it in stock

said i should be getting the laptop back early next week to mid next week

i bought a new laptop a few days ago and had similar problems, its exhaust is hot as hell and shut off once playing the new COD. for some reason after it did this i cannot get COD to work properly, it will start fine but wheni initiate game play it shows up error msg's :( i feel for you Str8e, fckin computers

im spewin about it but im happy its still under warranty, if it wasnt under warranty i would be spewin even harder

got my laptop back today

they replaced the VGA thermals wat ever that is

on external monitor, it has a heatsink.. thats the only thing i can think of... whatevs.

mines still goin strong.

just wondering

for those of us using the asus G73J

wat is ur temp ?

i checking my temp with

CPUID HWMonitor

SpeedFan

this is mine

for those of u who have the same laptop post up urs so we can all compare

im sure there are 2 or 3 members on here with the same laptop

Untitled.jpg

its doing it again!! any one else have the same laptop with the same problem?

it only ever happens when im gaming what shits me of the most is when ive gotten so far in my game and the computer shuts itself of to prevent damage i lose where im up to because i havent saved any of it!

looks like ill be sending it back for the 2nd time !

your video card is getting too hot. even though the specs are more than enough to play games on high settings, heat will always be an issue with laptops, theres just not enough airflow and cooling power to fit into such a small and flat device since its gotta be portable in order to be a laptop.

Any reason why you must play on a laptop? Unless theres a good reason, i honestly think gaming on laptops is not very smart.

Did u try those aftermarket vents you purchased before? your only options now is to send it back again and hope theres a solution so it doesnt happen again or else it will just happen sooner or later if they just do the same shit as last time. or turn down the details so the system doesnt generate so much heat.

Are you able to get a refund for it? that might be a good idea if its possible, then buy a newer gaming laptop if they refund you the original price you paid, then buy a newer model and hope theres no heat problems.

EDIT: after thinking about it again, it does seem a bit weird if you get the problem within 10-15 minutes especially for such a grunty laptop, id say you got a bad batch or even a bad ONE if the other members are not having problems with it, so i'd definitely look to get it replaced or refunded.

its doing it again!! any one else have the same laptop with the same problem?

it only ever happens when im gaming what shits me of the most is when ive gotten so far in my game and the computer shuts itself of to prevent damage i lose where im up to because i havent saved any of it!

looks like ill be sending it back for the 2nd time !

Screen goes black/off.. fans stay on? - if so its definatly overheating, if it goes GREY, then its GSOD.. which is abit less fidily to fix.. but still annoying.

Dude i have the same laptop, was fine for ages.. then all of a sudden it started overheating..

First thing to do, go to kmart and spend $15 bucks on a can of compressed air and spray BOTH vents good and propper.. the fins are SOOOOOO fine on this dust collects freaking easily.. I've never had issues with any other performance laptop EVER.. my pc is on 24/7 and is fine.. but this laptop's heatsink collects dust SOOOOOO bad.

I've started doing it once a month, still using the 1 can.. (laptop is on 24/7) gets used about 5 hours a day minimum underload.

If your temps dont drop let me know.

Also, take the battery out and undo the 2 or 3 screws there.. pop the battery back in and the top plastic cover (behind the screen) should pop off with a little help (im 90% sure theres no other screws holding it on.. cant be 100% till i get home.

With that up you can spray in there aswell and get any excess out.

I've also manually repased mine before i even tried the vents cause i though it was a stupid idea. but it only made 1-2 degree difference. Check the speed your GPU runs at while idling, mine now sits on about 350/400mhz until i go into game and then bumps up to 700 :)

I've done the Bios update

The Video Bios update

the sound card update

and then the video card driver update.

and ONLY now am I having luck with this laptop performing as it did in the first week i bought it. (6 months ago)

nah mine just turns of

and i cant turn it back on for like 2 or 3 mins

it only ever does it when im gaming which makes me think its some thing to do with the graphics card

ive already sent it back once and they replaced the VGA thermals wat ever that is

mine used to do that and it would burn the S**t out of my leg aswell....turns out it never worked properly

It just done it again !!!

compressed air :D

doooo eeet

ill give the compressed air a go

can i just use a normal air blower at the workshop?

i use my compressor to clean out computer fans... 30psi ftw :D

ill give the compressed air a go

can i just use a normal air blower at the workshop?

yep.. obv if its VERY high pressure start far away and get closer.. u dont wanna break any fan blades by throwing 3bar at it (just use common sense :D)

oh and if u want to take the rear cover off as i suggested (behind the monitor) theres 2 screws under the laptop aswell as the 2 under the battery.

have you still got the rubber bits on the underside? a couple of mine have come off with the amount of times that i put the laptop in the backpack and pull it out. they're the only thing to elevate the laptop and the air is drawn from the bottom, so no rubber feat would mean next to no airflow. might be worth looking at.

i lost 2 of those rubbers at the back of the laptop and it over heated straight away

have you still got the rubber bits on the underside? a couple of mine have come off with the amount of times that i put the laptop in the backpack and pull it out. they're the only thing to elevate the laptop and the air is drawn from the bottom, so no rubber feat would mean next to no airflow. might be worth looking at.

i lost 2 of those rubbers at the back of the laptop and it over heated straight away

holy thread revival kempii! :P

o/t, can't believe i spelt "feet" as feat...

bought a mac book pro today

its so much better!!!!!

For gaming?

Not to spark the whole Mac v PC thing, but they're good computers. I was retouching up to 150 photos an hour while working on a film set, my laptop not only kept up, but kept on puffing when the big budget desktops started to lag out.

Also, I managed to spill baileys on the fan area last Christmas while slightly inebriated, so now only one fan works, and even intense retouching for hours on end on 35+ days, it has never overheated on me.

I don't play games, and my mate who is big into them says my laptop wouldn't handle them well, but in regard to putting up with abuse, mines lasted me 4 years on the road, in the desert, getting wet etc., my old desktop computers wouldn't even last 6 months before starting to fail on me.

Some of the new macbooks can handle games very well these days hey - there's a reason why a lot of companies are releasing OSX ports. Hell, my 4 year old macbook (first gen. aluminium body) can play Guild Wars 2 alright!

You've got options there too. Dual boot windows, run a program like Parallels to run windows games inside of OSX, or maybe even WINE might help you out (Windows Emulator basically)

That said, my macbook is now overheating like a mofo.... CPU gets up to ~75 degrees, and being all aluminium, the body just retains heat and spreads it incredibly well.... you know it's a problem with the 'esc' key is almost impossible to touch lol