Sign in to follow this  
Phorte

The Home Theatre Thread

g'day all,

did a search but didn't seem to find any threads dedicated to home theatres, so i'm creating a new thread for people to discuss dedicated home theatre rooms (not PC's in a bedroom plugged up to logitech speakers).

i recently finished putting together my dedicated home theatre room after a few months of planning. took a lot of planning but it is in no way comparable to other people's dedicated rooms that have raised seating, proper riser for the screen, stages, curved cinemascope acoustically-transparent screens, and drop ceilings (like the installs you'd find on the AVS forum).

my purpose was a room that could easily be converted and as it was only deep enough for one row of seating, i chose to have a large couch instead of dedicated seats (which i'd prefer to have if i had two rows of seating - maybe something for the next house). some quick picks from when i first got it running a few weeks ago. the screen has been lowered slightly since though. pics are directly taken out of my camera with no adjustment:

101102_190454_008.jpg - thanks sam for helping me put it together

101110_230834_009.jpg - with room lights on so it's washed out

101110_230657_006.jpg - the same scene with lights off at the seating position

Home Theatre Room:

• Panasonic PT-AE4000E 1080P projector
  • Peerless PRG projector mount
  • 120" OZTS Majestic Evo3D 2.37:1 fixed scope screen
  • Yamaha RX-V1800B receiver
  • B&W 684 fronts
  • B&W HTM61 centre
  • B&W 602 S3 rears
  • Velodyne CHT12Q sub (this thing pumps)
  • Auralex Subdude decoupling platform for the sub
  • PS3 Slim
  • ASRock ION330HT running XBMC Live w/ Transparency skin

the screen is a 2.37:1 anamorphic screen so when watching 16:9 content, i will get black bars on either side. however, when watching anamorphic movies, the projector will scale it to fit the screen completely (as you can see in the photo). this is why when you watch blurays/dvd's on a 16:9 tv, you will still get black bars on top and bottom, and is also why when you go to the cinema, the curtain's spread after you watch the commercials (which are in 16:9).

not all new movies are anamorphic ratio though. suprisingly, Avatar is only 16:9 and all Pixar movies too.

and here is my existing family room setup (pictures to follow):

Family Room:

• Samsung 63" 1080P plasma (PS63P71)
  • Yamaha RX-V665 receiver
  • B&W 600 S3 fronts
  • B&W LCR60 S3 centre
  • B&W CCM50 in-ceiling rears
  • Auralex Subdude decoupling platform for the sub
  • PS3
  • ASRock ION330HT running XBMC Live w/ Transparency skin

the Yamaha RX-V665 is also powering a 2nd zone outdoor with Yamaha speakers.

both areas are running off gigabit network back to an unRAID server with around 10Tb's of content (1080P mkv and BD ISO movies, and 720P MKV's for tv shows (and some avi's)).

let me know what you think and if you have any questions. and please, if you have a dedicated home theatre, please post it up with your specs!

cheers,

Linh

Awesome setup, definatly want one of these when i get my own home.. until then the boring 46" LCD will have to do.

What kind of price range are you looking at for your setup?

Im interested in what OS you ended up using for the media box, and how you control it. the big thing that puts me off is i want ONE remote. i dont want some weird hard to figure out 'universal' remote, i dont want to have to turn on 9 different boxes and have a keyboard hanging over the lounge. The goal is so ANYONE who isnt me, can just sit down, press a button and TV, foxtel, recorded tv, archived hdd footage is all there, and easy to access.

I previously used Windows media centre, that struggles very hard after 100gb of content, let alone a pile of TB.

Specs of your media box would be cool also :)

Oh and how well does ur projector go with auto upsizing/downsizing all different forms of media, 4:3/16:9/2.37:1

cheers!!

lotta questions which is good - this thread is doing its job :)

for the TV setup, im using an older Logitech Harmony 785 remote that controls everything (tv, receiver, HTPC/XBMC). wife isn't great with this stuff and it works perfectly for her - one button push. the setup is easy. there are much easier options (eg. pronto, etc) but the Logitech Harmony remotes are very popular for a reason. i'm yet to purchase one for my HT room though (next on the cards). but i would recommend a Logitech Harmony remote because they are made pretty well. even my parents can sit down and use it easily...

the XBMC boxes are running Ubuntu but you can easily do the same by installing XBMC Live (which is a standalone one-click-install type job that installs ubuntu+XBMC. there's also windows and OSX versions too). its very lightweight and from the point of view of the end user coming in, it looks like a nice quality player with beautiful fanart as opposed to a computer with video playing software, if you know what i mean. i'll try and put up a video soon to show you how it looks.

the media boxes are both ASRock ION330HT's. basically atom 1.6 cpu's, nvidia ion chipset barebone machines. just added in some memory and a few small hdd's (didn't need anything big - just something for the OS+XBMC - because all the media is stored centrally on my unRAID serevr).

the projector does a great job of changing the ratio. i mean, for the 4:3 and 16:9 it's just showing the video normally with black bars on either side. when it detects the 2.37:1 format (the black bars on top and bottom), it will scale the image to fill out the screen, and also includes inbuilt masking so it will black out any grey overspill from the black bars. i guess i'll have to do a video of that too to show the resizing in action :) the next option is to use a dedicated anamorphic lense coupled with a video scaler but unfortunately my room isn't deep enough to give the correct throw ratio for an external anamorphic lense.

cost of setup?? would prefer not to think hahaha... maybe ~$12k for the HT room not including furniture and labour? all up both rooms maybe ~$35k

...shit

Wow nuts setup Linh!

I'll have something setup in a few months when I move out.

Nothing to the extent of what you have though haha.

Going all out is worth it if your staying in that home man. 35k sounds like heaps now.. but seriously u will appreciate the crispness of the sound, the stunning visuals, and the awesome comfyness of the lounge.

im kinda thinking of trying to get an ipad/iphone app that would be compatible.. would be sick :P but yeh.. defeats simplicity.

Ive got the data like yourself, ive got a box which can easily become a HTPC just need to figure out the best way to go about it, sucks i cant have killer sound (neighbours would complain :( )

the ~35k of my two setups was built over the years though. i mean my first set of B&W's were purchased around 8 years ago but they're the sort of speaker you can hold onto for a long long long time yet. i definitely wouldnt spend that much in one go though!!

ive seen a few people do the ipad app that controls the entire room including scene setup (start receiver > dims lights > opens curtains). pretty awesome once its done though! maybe in the future for me haha

if ure happy to just stick ur box next to the tv then thats the easiest option. HDMI directly into the receiver, get a cheap yumcha usb remote receiver and couple that with a universal remote, put on XBMC or windows media centre (not my thing tho) then you're good to go!

i dont have pics at the moment but currently im running

Fronts - B&W 683 (bi amped)

Centre - B&W HTM 61

Rears - B&W 685

Sub - Velodyne CHT 12Q (1 of 10 cherry units in Aus)

AVR - Denon 4308a

Blu Ray - Panasonic BD40

TV - Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma.

Wii

X360

Acer Aspire laptop

Music is via USB into the AVR or streamed wirelessly from my PC. Video from either the Acer or the Blu ray player

my 2 channel system kills it.

yes i see you are also wise to the great sound of B&W.

I have to admit though, i wasnt a fan when i ran them through a Yamaha. A NAD really made them shine, but the Denon has great functionality and would be one of the 'warmest' sounding AVR's ive heard (if thats possible)

i care more about the sound then the vision, hence the cheapo TV and BR

actually i care for both sound and vision... my next step is room acoustics but i have to first treat my music studio before i can treat my HT room (which is running Event reference monitors). i use that for my 2 channel listening :)

my mate who first put me onto B&W years and years ago has 802's running through musical fidelity pre's and posts. dont think i'll ever go that far!!!

Damn Linh! When you do something you do it right, don't you? haha

Nice job.

I currently have a small Samsung flatscreen that I plug my HP netbook into. Not worth buying anything over here when I have my little setup at home still waiting for me.

actually i care for both sound and vision... my next step is room acoustics but i have to first treat my music studio before i can treat my HT room (which is running Event reference monitors). i use that for my 2 channel listening :)

my mate who first put me onto B&W years and years ago has 802's running through musical fidelity pre's and posts. dont think i'll ever go that far!!!

I tried finding some 800 series B&W speakers when i was looking to upgrade my 2 channel. No one in SA does them. SV Studio do MF now i think.

im runnings tubes through VAFs atm but my 2 channel is going for a specific sound. If i was a producer/creator of music like yourself i would probably want something a bit more accurate like studio monitors

My setup:

Amp: Denon AVR-2105

Speakers: Klipsch top of the range (reference) bookshelves

Sub: I had a custom made sub box running a 12inch boston car audio sub with jaycar module amp. This sub was a beast!!! The box needed two people to lift and it would seriously shake the whole house.

Tv: Sony bravia 46inch x series.

Was a bit of a audio buff back in the days. Just wish I had money these days to buy more gear. Perhaps when I purchase a house one day.

Not really on the scale of most home theatres in this thread but does anyone know if the cheap ebay projectors are any good? Like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-HD-1080P-Projector-support-Digital-TV-HDMI-USB-SD-/180577356598?pt=AU_Home_Theatre&hash=item2a0b3fcb36

Most things I watch are just standard size avi tv shows and would just plug my laptop in to the projector.

My dad has a really good setup, a huge difference though is the lighting in the room.

First house one dark feature wall.

Second house dark walls and thick curtains.

We could use the theatre room during the day and it would look exactly the same as it would at night.

Nice, no anamorphic lense though? Id love one, but the cost is just too huge.

Hows the panasonic as a projector? I looked at them, but went for the epson as I heard huge issues with panasonic service and support at the time..

Nice, no anamorphic lense though? Id love one, but the cost is just too huge.

Hows the panasonic as a projector? I looked at them, but went for the epson as I heard huge issues with panasonic service and support at the time..

wanted to go anamorphic lense (richard @ aussiemorph had a sale on just recently) but my room isn't deep enough for the correct throw ratio... around one metre too short. will definitely go the lense route next though but we're not moving out of this house too soon :( i actually budgeted to go get the aussiemorph mk3 anamorphic lense with sled/mount but measurements came up short :(

the panasonic is amazing. ae4000's are very popular on AVS and DTV and also looked at the offerings from epson, jvc, sony and a few others too but the lens memory for the cinemascope ratio got me.

Alright, now no-one hate on me for my low end set up. I have a Sony Muteki HTDDW7500, with my PS3 outputting Linear PCM, and then HDMI into my 42" LG LCD. Lately, I have been experiencing an issue, where my sound is being output to the speakers of the system just fine, no dramas there. But it is also outputting the sound to the TV's speakers. I am certain it doesn't normally, for now I have muted the TV's speakers, but it really irks me that it's not working like it used to.

Any ideas?

a few people msg'ed me for some footage of my projector's anamorphic (2.35:1) zooming capabilities... so i quickly recorded some footage tonight. recorded using my 7D in a completely pitch black room so it had some issues with contrast. the zooming is when the projector picked up the cinemascope ratio then zoomed in to fill out the whole frame completely (whilst in the menus, either side of the 16x9 picture is just blank).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpzwez4ho1Y

So... Wouldnt happen to have a room for rent at all.....

Awesome setup mate, really love it, such clarity and viewing you could really easily watch movies at home with the proper cinema feeling!

I cant wait to get my own house just so I can setup an epic theatre room, cant wait!

just bumping this thread for other home theatre enthusiasts... no updates on my end. have ordered a whole bunch of 27"x40" movie posters which i'll frame and put up around my HT room but apart from that, cant really enjoy it as much with the baby...

anything new with everyone else?

My System changed a bit now. Ive gone off 5.1 channel and got 2 decent front speakers instead.

so...

Oppo BD83SE

Denon 4308a

Rotel RB1080

VAF Signature i-33

other sources

Project RPM5.1 Turntable with 2m Red

Squeezebox Classic with Lite NOS DAC AH- modified by Coem Audio Australia

Fetch TV in there aswell

Might add a VAF i-91 for the centre

Ive got that much audio shit floating around this house, dont think youd be interested in that though

Great thread.. I have been reading into this for the last couple of weeks. Have a friend with a $155,000 set-up.. his fronts along are $50,000. I am in the process of setting up a new 2.1 home theater system.. anyone looking to off-load a pair of bookshelf speakers? willing to spend up to $300.

WOW! Phorte, your setup is freaking amazing, want that projector and screen!

This is my setup, nothing huge but does the job for me,

Denon AVR1912 Amp

Paradigm CT-110 Cinema Speakers (includes dipole rears & 10" powered sub)

Sony Bravia 55"

PS3

Apple TV 2

hometheatre.jpg

463237_10150746412483631_613733630_9209924_387284902_o.jpg

181794_10150096628918631_8378782_n.jpg

Excuse the bad picture, taken quickly after I finished putting in the new TV unit.

Basic run down,

-50" Panasonic Plasma (looking to upgrade soon)

-Klipsch f30 pack with extra bookshelf speakers 7.1 (thinking of going 7.2 but short on room)

-Onkyo tx-nr809 amp

-Monster HTS 1650 Surge and Spike protection with digital display

-All speaker cable is large Monster cabling

-Logitech Harmony 1100i remote

-Sennheiser RS170 wireless headphones

-Wii and PS3

-Monster fibre optics and HDMI cables

-Logitech G27 with Bride seat and frame

That's all I can think of at the moment. Looking at upgrading to a 3D projector soon, can't wait!

Edited by Import S13

They are pretty amazing, but ruthlessly revealing. So ive swapped out the Rotel for Bel Canto REF500. SB Classic has gone as well, and replaced with a SB touch.

The cart on the Project has changed to a Dynavector 20X2H - dont look up the retail on that one lol