Sign in to follow this  
Spazo

Shoulder hunch

Just wondering if anyone knows any exercises for correcting shit posture such as hunchy shoulders.

An old friend who had it pretty bad said his physio told him to lean against a wall with his shoulders back and neck straight for 10 minutes a day, and another guy I was working with had a physio who taped the skin on his back (a big X) to remind him when he started to hunch too much.

I know being conscious of it is probably the biggest thing but has anyone got any other tips?

possible solutions. not necessarily anatomical. Most are interrelated

1.) Find a path toward a more confident self image

2.) lifestyle choices: eg, too much intense staring forward while using the computer. if you're tall then to appear smaller you hunch over to look less imposing if you're conscious of your height, not much you can do about that.

3.) Strengthen your trapezeus, rhomboids, Lat dorsi, pretty much all back muscles, not just upper back. But if you've been working pectorals a lot it is possible that the build up in the front has not been counterbalanced with work on your back thus giving the hunched appearance.

4.) it is possible to buy a shoulder brace?? i've heard of people strapping themselves into such things, dunno what they're called but apparently they're not comfortable and look funky, for indoor use only sorta wear.

And... least likely to happen but the one i personally would put a lot of metaphorical eggs into the basket of is...

5.) Take up Ballet (I kid you not, this is the most fkn AWESOME thing for posture and little muscle/stabiliser strength). the discipline is centralised around the alignment of the body, and over time irons out most non-structural anatomical variations in your body. Even helps to a degree with stuff like scoliosis/lordosis/kyphosis.

Realisically i wouldn't mind a side and behind photo of your upper torso. just so i can see what we're dealing with here. Note that it maybe possible that the shoulder hunch can stem from another area, example would be an extreme posterior pelvic tilt (pulling butt in through rotating pelvis)will also compress the frontal torso and result in a hunching of shoulders to maintain balance.

With much El Spazo Love

Sam.

All good points, very good actually. It's true I did work my chest a bit more than my back when I was in my late teens/early 20's and I was tilting my pelvis back a bit... lately I've been doin the MJ crutch thrusts and it stretches and cracks my back (love it lol). And throwing my arms back a bit actually makes my sturnum crack which freaked me out a bit at first. Can't see myself doing ballet or uploading pics.. it's not a terrible hunch, most people wouldn't notice it.

Just looking for something a physiotherapist would tell me without having to actually pay for one :P

*crotch

I dunno, just being a dork. When I squat down a little bit and really tilt my pelvis forward it really stretches my spine out and I get a nice crack.

Strech ur chest and lags bard they are both connected to ur shoulder which pulls them forward. Stay away from heavy work for the time being in them. Work on exercise which force scapula retraction. ie: any row movement and external rotation of the shoulders ie: reverse flies.

Also stretch your thoracic region of ur spine. ie: if u have a solid plastic chair make ur spine extend over the chair to u feel only a slight discomfort. Never go extreme. This allows the vertebrae to free up in ur back as they can fuss together over time.

The technical name for what ur talking about is kyphosis which is very common in office and computer workers I have help many people fix this problem however depending on how long it's been that way depends on how good ur posture will fix itself. Generally anything longer than 7 years can't be reversed.

Hope this helps

Brendan

rows and cleans - bascially just do backwork, and be conscience when you walk to stand up straight and not walk like a dero fresh out of jail/the hood.

I have read that lying on a Foam Roller down the length of your spine and relaxing so your sink around it can help. I have tried it and it gives you a great stretch.

Everyone i have asked about it though have all recommended what ghosty and kelly have suggested. Heavy back work eg deadlifts!

Band pull aparts.

Get use to setting your shoulder blades on every lift.