Sign in to follow this  
Bennybear

DOTA 2

Valve has officially announced that it will be releasing 'DOTA 2' by the end of 2011.

What is DOTA? Defense Of The Ancients is essentially a custom Warcraft 3 map that gained popularity in the same way that CounterStrike exploded from Half Life. The most popular model is a 5v5 match with each player taking control of a 'Hero' that has unique traits, abilities and statistics (there are 103 unique heroes in the current Dota...).

Play is held on a 3-lane map with the objective of destroying the enemies base and iconic structure; the tree of life or the frozen throne. Unlike a typical RTS there is no building involved, rather the emphasis is on developing and leveling your hero - teamwork is paramount.

For anyone that enjoys the odd RTS and hasn't seen DOTA I highly recommend checking it out; even if it is to wet you're appetite in advance of the polished version that Valve will release in the coming months.

For those of you that know DOTA, you will be excited to hear that Valve has hired IceFrog (the maps original and current designer) as lead designer for the sequel.

All details and the latest concept art can be checked out here: http://www.dota2.com/

Does look good, the million fanboys will drop HoN and LoL in half a second at release, but after reading some stuff about icefrog and his antics, valve might get a little burnt :)

il try to dig up the article

ED:

http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/

there, if you have followed anything dota or hon related, its a bit of an entertaining read.

Edited by Luke04

Interesting read; dude sounds like a jerk - fortunately the blogger sounds like he is part of a low level Dev team at best; no doubt Valve has contracts in place to protect any intellectual property they invest in. As far as an ethical position on the matter; I couldn't care less if it were Hitler & Stalin creating the game, so long as it goes to market.

Yeah same, just something interesting, and i wt wouldnt surprise me at all if the game doesnt end up going through.

DotA 2

Competition where the world's 16 Elite DotA teams are competing for the biggest prize ever of 1 million dollars to promote DotA 2.

The game has not been release yet, team have been provided with a beta version most likely to prepare them for this insane tournament.

Expected release date is end of this year or early next.

Information at http://dota2.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cSFPIwMEq4&feature=aso

Can't wait for this game

So other than Blizzard's epic FMVs why am I going to want to play DotA 2 when I've got HoN which in my opinion is already a solid successor to DotA (I have nothing against LoL but it's more of a splinter successor than a direct one - has similar principles but different implementations).

The only complaint I have is the amount of Mexicans/Pinoys/Brazillians/etc who play HoN and can't play HoN for a bag of dicks and no amount of code will change that.

This has no connections to Blizzard, DotA was just a custom map for WC3, this is gonna be on its own system. The creator IceFrog went with Valve.

You can stick to HoN, I've just stuck with the original and couldn't care less for the other adaptations.

Here are some leaked screenshots just released like less than 24hrs ago. (NOTE* Dunno whether these are real or fakes, because only people who received beta copies are of cause the developers and the teams that are in this competition for the promotion of it. With serious conditions if anything was leaked before the competition starts)

Qzr0h.jpg

AtS3m.png

HmGn4.jpg

64xi0.png

i thought it was just my connection, but that makes sense.

match paused atm?

Looks like Dota just better graphics and a few other minor changes?

Does look very good though, interested in seeing how it is

Looks good imo, I played dota abit when wc3 and ft was out. I will probably get it and have a play again ;)

Fuark, have SUCH an erection for this right now. Fingers crossed i get into the beta.

so what was the outcome? i gave up not long after it was paused.

You guys got any tips or tricks on playing this?

I can't cast the spell fast enough while running away from ganking... lol

I used to enjoy it... but keeps getting yelled at by 5 yo online hahah coz I am a newb

tournament goes on for 5 days

Here are the results so far.

http://dota2.com/tournaments/international/results/groupstage/

I had the long pause as well during the first match but after that it was fine. Finals are gonna be a bitch to watch.

what was the outcome of that night though? was it the team to get first blood that won?

Massive game last night; anyone see the Moscow5 match?

I'm noticing that every weaver player farms for 90% of the match then rapes; good to know some things will still be the same :lol:

The most impressive adaptation I saw last night was Tidehunter; his animations were amazing and the ulti was just brilliant

Massive game last night; anyone see the Moscow5 match?

I'm noticing that every weaver player farms for 90% of the match then rapes; good to know some things will still be the same :lol:

The most impressive adaptation I saw last night was Tidehunter; his animations were amazing and the ulti was just brilliant

Totally agree with Tidehunter's animations.

That's exactly how I play weaver hahahaha. Once he has items, he is just pure epicness LOL

just wondering if anyone got into the beta yet? if so, an invite would be appreciated :thumbsup:

^I think it's mostly clans/competitive players at this stage

i.e. the people that will rape it once commercially available

New bf3 clan had its LoL team given invites, didnt tell anyone

ffffuuuuuuuuu

its LoL, bit of a joke

got emailled saying complete this survey to see if you can be in the beta, did the survey but they never got back to me :(

Got a key today from the survey

That I did months ago.

Rest of my mates have had em for months, played a few games at a mates and it's just so much better done than hon/lol

Slower paced but it's so much better going back to a balanced game. hon and lol developers made big mistakes by throwing overpowered reworks and new heroes in to control the direction of meta game changes how they wanted it instead of letting it sit and see how the community adapts and finds interesting new mixes.

Rather than seeing every comp team rush to ban/pick hero x due to an utterly retarded rework.

Il chuck my steam deets up later. If anyone wants a game or two let me know, have mumble and probs around half a dozen or more playing most nights. Most of us hovered from 1700-1900 mmr with comp experience in dota and hon.

Got a key today from the survey

That I did months ago.

Rest of my mates have had em for months, played a few games at a mates and it's just so much better done than hon/lol

zomg me too! I'm backlogged with games though and more importantly my car so won't be playing for a few weeks

I have a key, no idea how to play the game though :(

Between this, CS:GO and MOP beta im going to be all bugged out.

Edited by mreges

Got a key off my mate recently as well. The game is so hard to get useto.. Im pissed off at it cause im so hopeless at it atm. Im not a shit dota player either i was ranked top 20 back when IDHL first started on boredausssies. Its a good game, very detailed but i still prefer the original wc3 atm.

I havto always play support and be a ward bitch because i cant get useto timing creeps n farming yet. But back when i was playing tournaments for cash i always played carry.. Only thing im very annoyed at. But i guess practice makes perfect.. =\

Slower paced but it's so much better going back to a balanced game. hon and lol developers made big mistakes by throwing overpowered reworks and new heroes in to control the direction of meta game changes how they wanted it instead of letting it sit and see how the community adapts and finds interesting new mixes.

Rather than seeing every comp team rush to ban/pick hero x due to an utterly retarded rework.

Actually its still pretty unbalanced atm if u have played any CM modes the same heroes will always be banned/picked eg; furion/darkseer etc.. but yeh seeing as its a beta still theres no point complaining

Edited by snakey180

Got a key off my mate recently as well. The game is so hard to get useto.. Im pissed off at it cause im so hopeless at it atm. Im not a shit dota player either i was ranked top 20 back when IDHL first started on boredausssies. Its a good game, very detailed but i still prefer the original wc3 atm.

I havto always play support and be a ward bitch because i cant get useto timing creeps n farming yet. But back when i was playing tournaments for cash i always played carry.. Only thing im very annoyed at. But i guess practice makes perfect.. =\

Actually its still pretty unbalanced atm if u have played any CM modes the same heroes will always be banned/picked eg; furion/darkseer etc.. but yeh seeing as its a beta still theres no point complaining

HoN is an ongoing beta lol, this is in a much more balanced state