Sign in to follow this  
buoy

3HR - Social Networking app UPDATE: It's just launched on MyPhone 1-Dec-2012!

really? didn't work on all those things (ie 8 i dont' care about anwayy). but aah well... anyway that code works on my friends iphone4, ipad2 and my galaxy s...... best i got at the moment humpy.gif lol.

Currently at home for lunch works on my home, FireFox 4 instance, but also its way less secure than the Policys i enforce at work..

Tracking works, obviously its found me via IP cause i dont live in a DC lol...

ps: perhaps the microtweeting can be similar to twitter 2.0 which can handle images, movies, gps links in case that stuff is required....??? or perhaps another "icon" next to their name can reveal their gps location with a hard-URL link to google maps?! shades.gif now you're talkin...

That would definetly be the best, Ive noticed Apps that do take off do all the tricky work for you, If the App can work with as little interation as possible its always a winner, and then alot of people who do have smart phones are pretty dumb.. So if the app figures everything out for you it would be pretty awesome.

- Buy creates Event "Lunch at Nandos, Open Invite 12:30PM"

- Buoy invites Antonio/Firechild.

- Antonio accepts to meet with Buoy/Firechild at 12:30PM Event: Lunch at Nandos

- Antonio's GPS Map Updates to showing in Africa eta 3days 16hours

- Firechild GPS Map Updates "within 10km"

- Buoys GPS Map Updates "within 1km"

- Jimmy thinks he should head out to lunch, checks 3HR for whats going on at the moment.

- Jimmy *sees event has happened and that his phone is showing he is within 250m of the event location"

- Jimmy accepts lunch.

Going a different route, it may get a negative reaction.

- Jimmy thinks he should head out to lunch, checks 3HR for whats going on at the moment.

- Jimmy *sees event has happened *

- Jimmy opens Navigation, types in the Address, Waits for Navigation to figure out where he is in comparison to where the event is (10minutes later)

- Jimmy cbf waiting for Navigation, goes out to lunch with Strippers.

that's more of what i'm talking about...

and you can write an instance that turns on gps if off, then check location and automatically turn it off once it's received location or in a time out (ie, can't get GPS location within 3min, shut down GPS)

Or once the place has been decided on, clicking the location could give you the option to automatically load navigation...

example: Fire gets lost on rout to lunch

Fire clicks on location within the app

phone checks current gps location, uses *my* location and the lunch location as the destination into "google maps, navgation navman ect..."

Fire continues onto lunch using directions displayed on phone.

the W3C api is much simpler. it just turns on the GPS (if necessary) and gets the location - asking the user first (OS-level prompt). the GPS then switches itself back off if that was its setting before. i think that's all it does.

this way i have added 3 fields to the user's table. gps_lat, gps_lng, gps_timestamp - and probably a setting like "Show my GPS location is active for" then a pulldown box with say "1 hour" as default, then some granularity to allow them to time-out their own GPS location, or even "Don't show" which immediately prevents their GPS location from being fetched by other 3hr'ers.

so then the DO IT section will just have a "Show MAP" icon, and it pops up a window of google maps with pins where everyone is... if they indeed hit their GPS location. And I guess the GPS location of the destination.

:thumbsup:

i haven't coded it all yet but the building blocks are there and ready.

what do you think of these proposed changes?

mock-3hr-gps-locations.jpg

I'm not quite sure I've got my head around the microtweeting... With the 3am meetup which was last night, I assumed when I tweeted that I couldnt make it, it would display all the tweets down the screen. Although the original tweet by Antonio (I think it was him?) asking what's happening was lost. I guess I was imagining a chat style system.

:lol: lol.... *shrugs* (re: gps)

as for microtweeting... erm... its more of a status update. if it needs to be a chat, its just click click click bang... not that hard. but the previous microtweet should be not worth keeping (im assuming) once you tweet again.

eg... leaving house now.

or

i'll be leaving at 8pm after i drop of gf...

so then when the status changes to

"on my way"

the previous microtweet is history - useless. that's what i think its going to be used for anyway. if you want chat - click on the username. also... there is gtalk, instant messenger and sms everyone is already using so no need to reinvent the wheel.

its more of a status update

Ohh right I get it now. It all makes sense.

..and just for the record, when we create these events, it is all for testing and we're not actually meeting up, right? :lol: Could be tricky getting over to the east coast with 3 hours notice haha

WAIT.... WAIT!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

try this : http://www.threehr.com/app/position2.asp

............... does it work? :o

FYI, I tried it on my 3rd gen iPod...works fine.

I'd be happy with it. When you click the 'view map' button, would that have pins of the location for all people attending?

unless you have to login to 3hr, become "Wally's" friend and be on the look out for wally's "eat" party suggetion some time this week so you can get to the 2dayfm bbq............ yeah its just test ones :) not really meeting up.

Nice looking site, I got lost once (on phone, android stock browser)

could you allow a "lounge" section in the plan it section.

reason for this is the entered data can be vague, things like final location can be chosen and times tweaked without "i change my mind"

So it's like your with your friends, not sure where to go, but want to eat. Conversation goes like the following.

What type of food you want?

what side of town?

How does this time sound?

Also feel that once all known friends have voted, it should have an option to jump to the do it page.

I like the above proposed changes (update gps) and if it displayed how far away each person was before looking at the map would be sweet.

In regards to that previous link for location, my phone could not display all the map, and pinch to zoon did not work. I could double tap in, but could not zoom out. (android 2.2, darkies 9.5 rom)

Happy to help man l am a developer we build web apps and iphone apps so let me know

^ thanks for your offering! :)

Fire_Child22 : That code is from google maps... i just called it. so... yeah. dunno.

i can see an event, but can't vote for it without creating another event separate to the vote that is already existing.

^ if you initially want to eat, then you see something in movies, you are in "preview" mode only - so you have to "change your mind" --- i hope that's the situation anyway.

wait... are you a friend of tristan's ? it's only his friends that are invited... so... unsure.gif i think that's the restriction.

UPDATE: The GPS locator is working in the DO it section shades.gif f-king teh coolness. looking at how to string people's gps coords on google maps now... looks easy (hope i don't eat my own words).

^ if you initially want to eat, then you see something in movies, you are in "preview" mode only - so you have to "change your mind" --- i hope that's the situation anyway.

wait... are you a friend of tristan's ? it's only his friends that are invited... so... unsure.gif i think that's the restriction.

i see votes for movies, click on movies but it's like i want to create an event*

i see roy and antonio have voted to do it

i sent peoples friend requests with that list provided, but only have one person add me (was it you?)

forever_alone_by_foreveraloneplz.png

edit: got antonio now too :wub:

ok, i saw antonio say he wants to go shopping... so i click on his (he is a friend)

same deal as before.

i'll update some screen shots tonight when i get home.

its more of a status update

Ohh right I get it now. It all makes sense.

..and just for the record, when we create these events, it is all for testing and we're not actually meeting up, right? :lol: Could be tricky getting over to the east coast with 3 hours notice haha

WAIT.... WAIT!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

try this : http://www.threehr.com/app/position2.asp

............... does it work? :o

FYI, I tried it on my 3rd gen iPod...works fine.

I'd be happy with it. When you click the 'view map' button, would that have pins of the location for all people attending?

Yes. I just figured out how to do labels and I'm going to integrate the pins with labels on a map... So... Yep awesome about to erupt.

ok, got some screen grabs...

first, i click on "plan it" and see 4 people want to "go shopping"

sc20110428202019.png

Then i click on "Go shopping" and i get the following

editb.jpg

Is this what i should be seeing?

^^^ yeah. 4 people want to go shopping but nobody's made a suggestion yet. perfectly normal.

this is when you *hope* one of your friends gets decisive and makes a suggestion. at least now, you *know* these people want to go shopping in a few hours...

Is there a way to have the preview mode the default view? If this thing takes off and you've got quite a few friends, you might see 4 votes on the 'watch a movie' icon, and 3 votes on the 'go shopping' icon, and maybe 2 votes on the 'have coffee' option. I might be open to what I want to do, so I might want to see who's doing what before casting my vote. If I was designing it, I would probably make it so that you click on the icon, and then press a button to 'do this' or 'vote' or whatever you want to call it.

Follow me yeah?

On another matter....

When you press 'Ive changed my mind', it doesn't seem to clear your vote till you click on another activity. Is that meant to be the way things work? I'll play it out with screen shots..

I press 'Go shopping' and see that Firechild also wants to go. Vote count is at 2

IMG_00991.PNG

I change my mind. It takes me out of the shopping screen, but my vote is still being counted for shopping.

IMG_01001.PNG

I press 'Watch a movie'. My vote has been taken from the 'go shopping' activity and now sits on 'watch a movie'.

IMG_01011.PNG

Then I decide I don't want to do anything at all. I want to sit at home and be a loner. I press 'Ive changed my mind' but my vote still stands.

IMG_01021.PNG

I guess the app assumes that you still want to do something and doesn't think to totally cancel your vote. Maybe have another button to cancel the vote?

ps. Now that firechild has made a suggestion to see a movie, does he have to do something else to confirm it so we can microtweet our status?

I agree with the above, that was confusing me too when "changing my mind"

Pre voting however, you can see the people who wish to do it, then you can change your mind... And see who else is doing what.

Not sure how you would set it up without cluttering up the screen :(

Use initials or a pre vote screen that shows who has voted so far?

ps. Now that firechild has made a suggestion to see a movie, does he have to do something else to confirm it so we can microtweet our status?

the timer needs to run out first. Then we move to the "do it page"

I assume this is to allow others time to join/vote

Now that I have voted on seeing a movie, I can view the other activities without my number being added to them. I may have used the wrong terminology in my previous post. I guess it's not really a vote when you click on different categories, more of an indication of interested people. Either way, the point still stands that you should be able to control whether you're actually interested or not.

the timer needs to run out first. Then we move to the "do it page"

I assume this is to allow others time to join/vote

Ahh of course. Is it me or is there no time showing when the timer will run out? If there isn't, maybe it's something that should be included..

So from this last event, we've (well, firechild did and I agree) come up with the following needs/wants...

- Chat/Lounge where all attending people can chat. Microtweets should be kept purely for your current status/eta. If you want to talk shit between each other then you could do it in the lounge.

- A refresh button. I have also been thinking an automatic refresh across the whole app with 2 minute or so intervals.