Sign in to follow this  
pyro

Android Owners - Read On. Ubuntu for Android

This one's done the rounds a few times now, but I've never seen it posted here.

http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/android

Your next desktop could be a phone

Why carry two devices, when you could carry only one? Your next high-end smartphone has far more horsepower than you’ll need on a phone, and more than enough for a laptop. So we’ve brought Android together with Ubuntu, the world’s favourite free operating system, to give you a full productivity desktop that fits in your pocket. Android for the phone experience, Ubuntu for the desktop, all on one device, running at the same time.

So forget the office PC. Just dock your corporate phone and enjoy Ubuntu. Anywhere. One address book. One set of bookmarks. One place for your text messages and email. No more typing on a tiny screen when all you want is a keyboard and a mouse. Seamless integration of your desktop and mobile worlds. Brilliant.

I'm looking forward to it :)

about f**king time

I said this would happen over 10 years ago

portable device + universal docking station = 1 computer for all your needs

It was quite obviously the way of the future, lets hope they don't f**k it up like Apple did.

edit: admittedly, I did say it would be a wrist watch like Get Smart, not a mobile phone

Edited by sid280

edit: admittedly, I did say it would be a wrist watch like Get Smart, not a mobile phone

that's probably not far off either.

Well Sony made the Xperia Mini. Make one half the thickness of that and put a strap on it.

It would be well within the capabilities of today's technology, it is only limited by commercial pressures, not technology.

Well Sony made the Xperia Mini. Make one half the thickness of that and put a strap on it.

It would be well within the capabilities of today's technology, it is only limited by commercial pressures, not technology.

I got to use a video wrist watch when I worked for Ericsson back in 09, they are already out there, and it wasn't even a Sony/Ericsson device, it was from a trade show in China bought back by a research person.

BUT THEY GOT IT ALL WRONG!!! ALL OF THESE IDEAS, WRONG WRONG WRONG...

the docking station should contain the high power (4+ cores) hardware to do the work, and the phone or watch (or card sized computer) should be a form of moving the data and interacting with other devices. If you want to play games, buy a PSP / Gameboy style device and use that as a docking station.

more cpu = more power consumption = shorter battery life and usage life

amazing!

... and to think 18 months ago, in a thread titled - ohh i dunno, something like "the phone is now the main device" people scoffed at it. ridiculous. pure fantasy. many said it will be at LEAST 5-10 years, the desktop isn't going anywhere, people want a solid machine, rah rah rah. people who dreamt up stuff like walking around with your desktop-pc in your pocket that would sync to a large flat panel when you got home would be a reality in a few years were smoking something :lol: . i admit i was an early adopter of this line of thinking, but i always had my doubts the pace was too optimistic and it'll be around 2014 or more before we see anything proper.

it's barely 2012 and the stuff is knocking on our doorstep. these really are heady days. scary in fact. the conventional desktop is truly dead to the mainstream. why buy an i7 with 16gb of ram when your mobile phone (with admittedly much lower specs) will still get you facebook, youtube, half-decent games (for the casual gamer), email, calendar, cloud apps like fb/twitter/messenger/maps, rss feeds, and potentially now Office and Windows 8...... running on ARM processors. Which means everything else (Photoshop, 3DS Max, Word, Excel, etc) the stalwarts of business productivity will be made for ARM also as the mass market demands it.

now i look at the next NEXT lot of predictions and they don't seem like pure fantasy anymore. 2 words come to mind: relentless inevitability.

These phones now have 1280x800 displays... others have 720p (1366x768 perhaps, or close to) - that's enough to run full screen photoshop, 3ds max, excel, dreamweaver, word, music apps like audition/cakewalk/logic.... and since the phone has an ARM processor most likely, there *IS* no difference anymore. the phone *IS* the new PC. amazing!!!!!!! :) :) Tegra 3 has 1080p max output. Yep. You connect your Tegra 3 (even the 40nm 1st gen out right now) via HDMI to a flat panel, you can have 1080p streaming from your phone.... just insane.

i just began watching schmidts keynote at mwc 2012 2011 a few minutes after writing the above, and the sentiments he literally echoed in his speech is uncanny!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uop3xqZkMTw

if you haven't got much time, you just got to fast forward to 6:20 and he'll bring up his "prediction" posted 2 years ago here: http://www.nissansil...dpost&p=5680685 and be BLOWN away. Since this is 1 year old, the prediction that smart phones overtook the desktop took only 12 months, not 18!

you're getting ahead of yourself mate. ubuntu for android doesn't come out until the end of the year and it still has to pass the adoption test :)

ive been an believer in using mobiles in a universal dock to become the desktop for a while, its such a pity the atrix with its dock and webOS wasnt advertised and adopted better as it coulda kicked it off big time, the popularity of the transformer tablet and the emergence of this poject should tell companies what we want

also you can buy "watch" style phone cases for a bunch of mobiles like the galaxy nexus, get your leela on

something else along these lines is the raspberry pi tiny pc ftw

I could almost run everything on my phone already. It has TV out so could plug into a TV, I could use a USB keyboard. My phone has X11, a debian repository (I can apt-get install), adminstrative rights out of the box (like on a computer), python, perl interpreters, etc, C, C++ FORTRAN compilers, etc, can ssh or vnc into it by simply turning on developer mode out of the box, basically what this phone will have when it comes out, just in one operating system. Not to mention it has the best UI of any current phone, it just isn't a mainstream device so nobody knows about it. I have a Nokia N9. Actually the CEO of Nokia is strongly against it (He is a Microsoft guy, one of the largest shareholders). Before it came out after getting such good reviews from engadget etc, he said no matter how successful it is there will not be another one. He also took it off all the big Nokia markets (i.e. most of Europe, the US, HK, etc), yet funnily enough according to rumours it still either outsells or is close to outselling their Windows phones which they market so heavily. Anyway, it is great to see things like this, because it would piss me off if I had to downgrade on my next phone (in a software sense), so at least there is hope.

Holy jesus christ. Only a year later... -_-

http://itechnologyupdates.com/ubuntu-smartphones-the-developer-version-will-be-available-feb-21.html

Introduced in January, the Ubuntu operating

And strangely enough.... http://phandroid.com/2013/02/19/ubuntu-touch-for-nexus-tablets/

Ubuntu for Tablets has been introduced, and it’s an implementation that has been built from the ground up with multi-tasking in mind. The biggest feature to drive that point home is SideStage. With it, you’ll be able to pull up the phone interface of an app from the right edge of your display so you can use it while doing something else. For instance, I could be Skyping with my friend on the left, and have a smaller pane offset to the right for checking Twitter.