Sign in to follow this  
Rasian

What do you guys eat?

This is my daily diet at the moment. Aiming for 7% bodyfat currently 103kg 8% bodyfat.

3500 calories 50/30/20 pro/carbs/fats

1kg chicken

250g steak

250g rice

100g oats

400g green veggies

2 eggs

140g whey protein

6 fish oil tabs

Currently sitting at around 85kg bodyweight.

Typical diet is as follows:

4 eggs

50g almonds

1 apple

215g tuna

200g salad

350g chicken or steak

250g veggies

90g whey protein

500g low fat cottage cheese

6 fish oil tabs

This is my daily diet at the moment. Aiming for 7% bodyfat currently 103kg 8% bodyfat.

3500 calories 50/30/20 pro/carbs/fats

1kg chicken

250g steak

250g rice

100g oats

400g green veggies

2 eggs

140g whey protein

6 fish oil tabs

Sweet! How tall are you?

Another UFC article about Victor Belfort's diet and how his weight cutting has changed for 205.

http://www.ufc.com/news/Mike-Dolce-Belfort-Kicks-Bodybuilder-Diet-to-Curb

I've always been fascinated with how MMA guys workout and eat seeing they need to keep their weight pin-point the same for their entire career pretty much.

Another UFC article about Victor Belfort's diet and how his weight cutting has changed for 205.

http://www.ufc.com/news/Mike-Dolce-Belfort-Kicks-Bodybuilder-Diet-to-Curb

I've always been fascinated with how MMA guys workout and eat seeing they need to keep their weight pin-point the same for their entire career pretty much.

Yeh good read thanks for that.

Yeh most nutriention should be food based and not supplement based.

Don't agree necessary with his just under 3000 calorie count though.

I mean I fight amateurly and in-house and I eat at closer to 4000 cal per day given my change in diet.

And yeh for fighters i can't stress Enough about the glycogen replenishment.

But all honesty, most fighters I know cut weight skipping with sweat suit/steam room shadow boxing etc coz of the money you have to forfeit with weight penalty.

And Steve. To answer your question of what they train. The fighters I train with and seen, 1 crossfit sesh- and 1 specilaiised skill sesh a day.

All this is worked at your vo2 max. And secondly functional training as your body works as one and as a whole not in isolation.

Im trying to get bigger lol hence the 4-5 weight train sesh.

They train 8-16 weeks intense training towards a fight dependent on how they kept themselves offseason. Usually it is 12 weeks though. 2-3 weeks out usually for 2-3 weeks is hardcore sparring.

No weight session in last week prefight. 2-3 days out light crossfit and cardio to drop weight.

Edited by Rasian

Mine is usually somewhere around this:

4:30 - Coffee. Shake. 6-7 Weet-bix

7:30 - Up & Go Energize. Apple. (Sometimes a muesli bar of some sort)

9:00 - 250g grilled chicken. Mashed sweet potato. Steamed veg (broccoli, beans, carrots)

11:30 - 250g grilled chicken. Steamed veg. Shake.

1:00 - 200g Tuna sandwich on Quinoa bread.

3:30 - Salad. Small portion of grilled fish.

7:00 - Salad. Usually 150g lean steak or chicken. And a shake just before i go to bed or after the gym.

(Those are all rough estimate times)

I will snack on almonds through the day and might have another coffee thrown in somewhere. And will usually drink around 2-3L of water. Also trying to taper my carb intake down after around lunch time.

It's a little hard for me to stay consistent with eating (and to an extent, training) because of my working hours. I work 12hr shifts, 3 day weeks. On my days off I will get to the gym twice, weights early morning and cardio in the evening. Days that i work is a little tougher as I am up since around 4:30am and won't get home until 7:00pm. I will usually just do cardio on those days.

I have only really started to take my training more seriously over the last 6 or so months and have noticed a difference now my diet is starting to get a bit cleaner, room for improvement I know. Not training for bulk, but more lean muscle. Beach body i guess :D Once I am sure i can afford it, I will be getting into CrossFit to change my training up a bit.

Weekends f*ck me too... Being social kills me sometimes. But don't drink anywhere near as much as I used to.

Anyway, thats my story lol. Feel free to pick away :lol:

You can give cross fit a go now.

I highly recommend this substituting cardio. Plus it will give the athlectic look.

Most people undermine crossfit. But cross fit has so much more benefits over plain cardio (running, cycling hiit etc)

Cross fit first activates a larger proportion or white twitch fibre and these are mch bigger in size and strength then red. 2nd cross fit produces anabolic and testosterone release thus helping you grow at the same time.

Good theory is working yourself

Constantly above 160bpm(dependent on your age) and above your lactate threshold. Thus, you will also increase in your aerobic capacity/lose weight/ get fitter/ and will attain a more athletic body than just cardio.

Personally I do 1-2 runs a week max. Sometimes 1 sprit sesh. And 3-4 cross fit sessions.

Also, cross fit will allow a higher degree of flexibility. Because of it's functional capacity, it will help you get the full range of motion in your weight training sessions.

(particularly in arears such as cleans, sldl, an front squats)

I should elaborate. My cardio is mainly tabata, rowing and will walk for around 45min on a treadmill (gradient: 12%. Speed 5.5kph). So mostly interval, high intensity work.

But yeah as you pointed out, definitely a lot of good things to come out of CrossFit. Which is why I'm so keen on trying it.

Pretty interesting podcast for those who can be bothered.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/joeroganexp/p245.mp3

Or just go here and look for #245.

http://joeroganexp.joerogan.libsynpro.com/irss

Joe has Robb Wolf on, an expert in Paleolithic nutrition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robb_Wolf

Interesting hearing his theory on bacon & eggs and coffee for breakfast.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFObr7rc1kA

Some info for those that don't know who he is.

Alan Aragon has over 18 years of success in the fitness field. He earned his Bachelor and Master of Science in Nutrition with top honors. Alan is a continuing education provider for the Commission on Dietetic Registration, National Academy of Sports Medicine, American Council on Exercise, and National Strength & Conditioning Association. Alan recently lectured to clinicians at the FDA and the annual conference of the Los Angeles Dietetic Association. He maintains a private practice designing programs for recreational, Olympic, and professionalathletes, including the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Kings, and Anaheim Mighty Ducks. Alan is a contributing editor to Men's Health magazine.
Edited by Pervy

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask here.

Aiming for 1,800 calories a day, since I'm trying to cut.

What foods would you recommend, and when? I've been having trouble getting my diet in check, because I tend to think "well hey, that can't be TOO bad can it?" without realising just how terrible it is.

Chicken, beef, fish? How many times a week would you guys eat either one?

What sort of fish too?

Cheers guys.

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I'd ask here.

Aiming for 1,800 calories a day, since I'm trying to cut.

What foods would you recommend, and when? I've been having trouble getting my diet in check, because I tend to think "well hey, that can't be TOO bad can it?" without realising just how terrible it is.

Chicken, beef, fish? How many times a week would you guys eat either one?

What sort of fish too?

Cheers guys.

I don't eat seafood apart from tuna so I can't tell you. Work out your macros. Obviously white meat is a lot less fat compared to red. E.g turkey, chicken, fish etc. Doesn't matter what you eat. Just matters that you eat under your caloric matenience lvl.

I'd suggest working on 50-25-25 or 50-30-20 macros. You up your protein for the reasons: to preserve muscle mainly. Through cutting stage you will always lose muscle.

Never cut out your carbs. This is te biggest mistake most amateur BB make. They look so big off season but when they compete they look like a skinny fool.maintaining your carb intake is almost, if not just as important as when you're bulking.

I think, don't quote me on this: double check it but Per grams of protein is 4 cal; carb 4; fats 9. I think.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Work our what you have to eat based on your 1800 caloric diet.

I don't know you maintenance lvl but tbh you shouldn't eat under 500 cal below your maintenance lvl. You'll lose weight toO quick.

You can cut and not lose muscle, your diet and training just has to be perfect.

I don't eat red meat for a variety of reasons, i wouldn't eat it when trying to cut, too calorie dense. Stick to chicken/tuna/turkey/occasional lean meat.

10% under maintanence is sustainable for cutting, any less and you are going to lose too much muscle. You could always try Intermittent Fasting, seems to work for most people and you don't need to cut too much out.

1800 calories @ 50% P, 30% carbs and 20% fat

225g protein, 135g carbohydrates, 40g fat.

Although i would usually go 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fat.

Make sure your fat comes in the form of poly or mono unsaturated, or medium chain fatty acids.

Yeah been doing Intermittent Fasting for some time now.

Actually been doing it for years, but just because I always felt bloated after eating breakfast. Difference was I wasn't lifting or counting calories back then. Always amazes me how PT's will tear into you when you tell them you skip a meal every day. :lol:

Thanks for the help guys!

Just chiming in,

I was a bit sick of having a little excess weight at 79kg and was worried about hitting 80 (i'm 176cm tall), whilst my gf went overseas, for two weeks I ate just one small meal and a shake everyday and drank alot of water. No breakfast at all. (2 cups of coffee a day too)

For the first 3 days i just ate 2 bananas and 1 shake. After that just a shake in the day and very small dinner, dinner being home cooked lean meat and salad about a fist size of each. I did not weigh myself untill the two weeks was up and i went from 79ish to 74.5. Side effects not many, just got a bit sort of down/sad (maybe as gf was away too) and noticed i started stressing more than usual? I took the first week off gym then went back to 3-4 days a week.

Long story short i semi fasted. Result bit more veiny and my stomach size shrunk, first night my gf was back i ate a big dinner and sat on the toilet pretty much the whole next day. Now when i eat i get full quite fast. Pretty happy with it but not entirely recommend it? Not sure. Now just making sure it stays off.

Edited by asleep

Lol last yr when I was dieting down for BB comp, I was just like a little bitch. 8-9 weeks/15weeks in I gave up lol. I just had to eat. I was complaining all fking day, everyday. My now, ex-missus and I broke up.

I was like a dude pmsing. Never felt like that before haha.

I'm guessing these are all body builder diets? Personally, I stick to a soft paelo diet, for most who are a little larger, it's a good way to break into the dieting, especially if you want a change to the healthy side. However,when I say soft, I mean allowing for certain fruits,vegetables,and cheats every now and again, proper paelo is way too much,expensive and unrealistic,unless you've got the cash to back it up lol...not cheap buying fresh food and assorted meats, but yeah, if any of you were considering keeping healthy and maintaning a good weight and body fat,then try paelo for a month

It's interesting reading bodybuilding diets, given I'm so used to competitive middle-distance racing, which is the polar opposite (brutal training with relaxed dietary input).

Have any of you considered just ditching the fat-cutting regime and competing in strongman competitions instead?

I highly recommend this substituting cardio. Plus it will give the athlectic look.

Most people undermine crossfit. But cross fit has so much more benefits over plain cardio (running, cycling hiit etc)

In the context of bodybuilding, then sure. You won't be geared up to actually do the training needed, so crossfit is a good compromise in line with your sport.

Don't confuse the situation though. Competitive running involves some of the hardest and most mentally-demanding and training you can do. It's unrealistic to compare it to crossfit, cycling or bodybuilding.

Edited by pmod

I'm guessing these are all body builder diets? Personally, I stick to a soft paelo diet, for most who are a little larger, it's a good way to break into the dieting, especially if you want a change to the healthy side. However,when I say soft, I mean allowing for certain fruits,vegetables,and cheats every now and again, proper paelo is way too much,expensive and unrealistic,unless you've got the cash to back it up lol...not cheap buying fresh food and assorted meats, but yeah, if any of you were considering keeping healthy and maintaning a good weight and body fat,then try paelo for a month

Fresh food is far cheaper than processed crap and take out.

It's interesting reading bodybuilding diets, given I'm so used to competitive middle-distance racing, which is the polar opposite (brutal training with relaxed dietary input).

Have any of you considered just ditching the fat-cutting regime and competing in strongman competitions instead?

In the context of bodybuilding, then sure. You won't be geared up to actually do the training needed, so crossfit is a good compromise in line with your sport.

Don't confuse the situation though. Competitive running involves some of the hardest and most mentally-demanding and training you can do. It's unrealistic to compare it to crossfit, cycling or bodybuilding.

Of course lol..... This is a bodybuilding advice page... I don't doubt you that running involves hard training, I ran for regionals when I was younger. I know this.

But I'm saying in terms of losing weight, and competitive body building, I would not suggest to do cycling, or running for cardio. I would go for HIT training, or cross-fit. Plus, bodybuilders don't run lol, they walk. Very little run, because running (I am saying running in terms of jogging) draws more of your glycogen stores rather then anything else. In contrast, walking (paticularly on incline will train calves too) burns more fat.

Further, if you want to lose weight, weight training loses more weight than any sort of cardio. Weight training increases your metabolic rate up to 20% for the next day and continues for the following days because of your DOMS. Were as cardio does not. So in terms of losing weight, I wouldn't even suggest to run; I would suggest to do weight training

Well if weight loss is the only objective, then it's true that walking would defintely be better. Lol at the run = jog comment. Same could be said about most people I see in the park, some of which could walk faster than their jog.

What were your events/placing at Regional?

sorry, I thought I posted back on my iphone but apparently not. I only went regionals in running for 100m but otherwise both cricket and swimming too. I never made it past regionals for running, just wasnt good enough. Well, I was injured and placed 4th or 5th from memory. This was when I was 15. But I made it to districts for most of the athletic events every year..

I wish I had the knowledge of training that I do now. I would have trained for the events lol and I would know what to do. I didn't take that sort of thing seriously back then.

Bodybuilders/weightlifters doing cardio simply covers a hole in diet or preparation.

Not necessarily lol.... bodybuilders do cardio to lose weight for comp... I can't speak for weightlifters because Ive never competed or prepared for comp. But I wouldn't compete deadlifting only 200kg :P

Some occassions yes, cardio is simply done to cover a hole in diet or prep but you can combat this just through training harder at a higher intensity or just a little longer. I see people riding 20-30 min on their bikes after a weight training sesh. All honest, I can't. I don't have the energy after a training session to still ride for that long. I have to eat lol and then i'll prob sit in the cold tub for like 15 min to recover.

Most of my workouts now are HIT crap so im dripping with sweat in just 45 min

sorry, I thought I posted back on my iphone but apparently not. I only went regionals in running for 100m but otherwise both cricket and swimming too. I never made it past regionals for running, just wasnt good enough. Well, I was injured and placed 4th or 5th from memory. This was when I was 15. But I made it to districts for most of the athletic events every year..

I wish I had the knowledge of training that I do now. I would have trained for the events lol and I would know what to do. I didn't take that sort of thing seriously back then.

4th at regionals is a definitely something to be proud of. I remember how stoked I was placing 3rd in the 800m at Region (Sydney West)... then won the 800m and 1500m for six years straight lol. Hard training and improving technique makes a huge difference.

I see people riding 20-30 min on their bikes after a weight training sesh. All honest, I can't. I don't have the energy after a training session to still ride for that long. I have to eat lol and then i'll prob sit in the cold tub for like 15 min to recover.

Most of my workouts now are HIT crap so im dripping with sweat in just 45 min

That's called being unfit ;). The Anaerobic and Aerobic energy systems are separate, so you should be able to jog or something at slow speed.

wow that's heaps good. I hate you 800m runners haha. I remember I used to trying sprint the whole thing and then just die after 300m hahahah and every just over took me in districts.

well they're quite the same lol.. both draw on same stores ATP-CP system. unless walking lol

yeh but that's not the point anyways. I mean that im so fking tired after my training sessions ive slept in classes hahahaha

and tbh yeh i am quite unfit atm. I haven't done any cardio for like 2 months. I'm trying to gain a bit of weight now so i crossed off cardio on list. I probably won't even make 10 on the beep test now haha

I was mainly looking at hitting CrossFit for overall fitness and to get the athletic looking build. I'm not training for big, bulky muscles but rather leaner "Men's Fitness cover model" build.

Like I always looked at CrossFit as the sort of best of everything in terms of fitness. Be able power clean 150kgs, but also be able to run the 100m in a good time. The totall all rounder athlete.

It's hard to explain :lol:

edit: On topic, can someone like me to a decent explanation of following your macros? There is a page on Facebook called IIFYM (if it fits your macros) and the dude is constantly throwing down shit like KFC etc but is lean as f*ck.. Not sure if trolling...

Edited by Chidge

Aha that dude is a fk tard.

Generally yes doesn't that you have 10 meals or 3 in a day, doesn't make a difference if the same caloric intake.

However what he preaches is a massive carb intake, it makes you body hard to oxidize fat.

Second, you never going to get the same macros eating kfc all day. Eat like 80% clean and rest shit. E.g I donno the calories but, 1 kfc meal is like 3 chicken rice veg meal. What would be more nutritious? Ofcourse the chicken rice veg. Tell him to eat 300g protein, 150 gram carbs in 1 day and see what he comes up with. And he's a fat, ugly *milkshake*.

Btw correct me if I'm wrong guys. This is just my understanding of it

Listened to an awesome podcast today which has changed my entire view on food.

http://joeroganexp.j...synpro.com/irss

JRE #275 - Dave Asprey

Dave Asprey went from some fat college dude weighing in at 135kg and dropped to 90kg with no exercise and consuming 4500 calories a day.

He ignored calorie counting and looked at how our bodies behave when given food at certain phases of the day/after exercise. He pretty much focuses on everything being fresh and the reason for everyone getting fat in recent decades is due to everything being processed. Our bodies don't know what to do with all these complex fats and toxins, so it messes with our metabolism.

Way too much for me to sum up, you need to listen to the podcast.

Here's his website and the result of 4500 calories a day with no exercise.

http://www.bulletpro...hor/daveasprey/

dave_abs_manila-217x300.jpg

Edited by steveP

Just checked out the website; good prices.

Your diet affects your hormones. Macros, micro and phyto nutrients are all well and good, and they do give you the false beleif you can take in processed acidic foods, simple carbs like sugar and not gain fat.

However, one has to look deeper into how the body works then just simple nutrition. Everything you put in your mouth affects hormones and these hormonal changes is what drives your lean muscle gains and fat burning capabilities.

I read in this thread that 2L of Fanta a day belongs to the leanest person someone knows. Hmmm interesting, however how long before the body becomes insulin resistant, and eventually develop into type 2 diabetes?. If you are talking about nutrition, talk about it in the right sense of the word which means improving your HEALTH.

Simple sugary or fast acting carbs WILL spike insulin. Insulin is very anabolic even more so than testosterone. When building and bulking muscle, spiking insulin is your friend. However this cannot be used in excess as the body will eventually become insulin resistant. Excess insulin released by the pancreas sometimes can drop blood sugar levels too low, therefore the body releases glucagon to reverse the blood glucose lowering effects of insulin. High Insulin levels will lead to obesity, constantly high insulin levels will switch of the body's fat burning process.

So you might think that taking in all these weird and wonderful foods like FANTA, i mean what phytonutrients are contained in FANTA? What micronutrients are contained in FANTA? It is just empty sugary calories high in acid and other wonderful things. So it might fit your caloric daily intakes or Macros however provides absolutely no nutrition to maintain a healthy body.

Depending on what you are doing, whether you are bulking up or leaning down, the right foods at the right time and the right calories make all the difference.

Argue this all you will, it is the way it is. Hormones dictate what our bodies do. The food we intake affects hormones. Hormone shift and balance is very important when using correct nutrition to aid our daily exercise requirements.

However it is the human body, noone has quite figured out how everything works yet, unless of course the government has and they are keeping it under wraps lol.

Fanta and other stuff might work for some, for other it doesnt, eventually it leads to the same problem, you have to quit using it. Same as cigarettes, some get cancer some dont, the body is tough it will adapt. However, these are not the ideal conditions you want to put your body through.

Eat your vegies, cruciferous vegetables, like brocolli cauliflower and the like are potent anti estrogens. Estrogen in excess in the male body can cause a whole host of problems.

While eating clean is good for longevity and overall health, sometimes the body will reach and hit homeostasis. Therefore it is important to have cheat meals every now and then.

Anyway, i hope you guys can take in and do some research as to the driving force of our body's functions, Hormones.