I'm not sure if many have heard/read, Kogan have now released their Pre-Paid Kogan Mobile Aus Plans:

http://www.gadgetguy...s-no-contracts/

KoganMobilePlans.jpg

^^ Whats on Offer; For a mobile network first, Kogan is the first to run off the Telstra Wholesale Network; As previously, The cheaper unknown companies had run off Voda, Optus etc.

For $29 a month, Its not too bad; Or you can go spend $299 and be set for the year!

I only swapped over to Kogan from Amaysim just yesterday; Their call centre is in-undated with phone calls so I did the Porting via their website while I was watching Drifts at Winton; I bought the simcard through their website for only $5 to my door. Then took less than an hour to swap everything over! Which I was very surprised by.

I've always hated Mobile Phone plans; I moved away from them as the costs and extra charges were a worry, So in comparison:

I was originally with Optus for many years on a $100 a month prepaid cap, Unlimited calls, Text and Data.

Then moved to Amaysim ($39.90 a month for unlimited calls/text a 4gb data) about a year ago not realising they were run through the same carrier (I hated Optus's signal and customer support). Amaysim were just as bad.

Moved to Kogan; I now actually get 3G Mobile Signal everywhere now. Whereas with Optus I never did.

For $29 a month, Its a good deal. Amaysim was $39.90 a month and the Optus equivalent was $100.. I do beleive at that time the Telstra equivalent was the same price but wasn't unlimited, You had a set ammount.

Thoughts?

Edited by Slippery Gypsy

On paper it looks awesome.

Need to check the fine print for any hidden charges, but I don't think kogan would have many hidden charges knowing him.

No hidden charges of contracts you Gypsy :lol:

You pay the amount that relates back to what plan you want monthly and that be it. I'm sketchy as shit when it comes to picking a provider. But for the past 24 hours, They have won me over with their reception. Optus are a pack of shitcunts.

There is one trap. Kogan's speeds are capped at a rate lower than the Telstra network can provide. There is a thread on whirlpool comparing speeds and i think it came in at about 5mb/s slower through Kogan.

Still, for the signal alone it's a muuuuuuch better deal than most. I'll be giving them a try, that's for sure.

Post-Paid as well?

BYO phone though yeah? I doubt they would give you a phone for that price.

curious to see if they try and bundle something with the phones that they sell though...

curious to see if they try and bundle something with the phones that they sell though...

I reckon give it a couple of months and they will start doing bundle packages. I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

Also another thing to consider is it's locked to the 850mhz signal. Still awesome value though.

Edited by Pervy

Can it be used for business use???? i.e. I manage 4,500 mobile conections for my work, currently through Telstra, but f**k going through Telstra if I can go through Kogan and get Telstra services for only $25/month unlimited with 6GB data/month, omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg!

There's a disclaimer on the product page now that says "not for business use". Not sure if it was there when it first came out though.

Ordered mine today. Has anyone else signed up? How are you finding it?

I would like to know as well.

Some fine print might be it is on Telstra 3G network so don't go buying an expensive 4g phone. And as has been stated your speed I believe is limited to around 5-10mbs or something like that. Not that I know why you would need faster internet than that to check your emails, facebook and watch youtube on the shitter at work.

I pay $35 a month for Vodafone for $500 calls and 2 gig of data, but since I work from home I hardly use it at all.

Does anyone know if you can transfer your existing number over though? I can't lose my current number.

Edited by Shakey Bones

It says you can bring your existing number :)http://www.kogan.com/au/mobile/

I'm with you on speeds. I just want some decent reception (for once). Hopefully it gets here before my roadtrip so I can test it in the sticks :P

I would like to know as well.

Some fine print might be it is on Telstra 3G network so don't go buying an expensive 4g phone. And as has been stated your speed I believe is limited to around 5-10mbs or something like that. Not that I know why you would need faster internet than that to check your emails, facebook and watch tube on the shitter at work.

I pay $35 a month for Vodafone for $500 calls and 2 gig of data, but since I work from home I hardly use it at all.

Does anyone know if you can transfer your existing number over though? I can't lose my current number.

I transferred my number over to Kogan from Amaysim. Previous to that I had the same number with optus and before that, It was originally with Telstra :lol:

The porting time was incredibly fast.

I was out at a Drift day doing Track entry, Did the port via their website at lunch time (Just..... I barely have any reception usually with Optus when im at Winton), And by the time I was back at entry letting the first lot of cars back, I got the confirmation text on the phone to say it had been ported. Too quick!

I don't know if this is similar, Probably not, But above I mentioned I ported my number over from Amaysim (Optus).

All I can tell you is to give Kogan a call (If you can get a hold of them). The porting should be the same as when I did mine, So pretty damn quick. Wouldn't hurt to call.

I have my mobile plan with Crazy Johns, and it's still in my father's name (from when I was in high-school, lol). Is it possible to port it over to Kogan prepaid in my name? I looked over on the kogan activation page and it looks like, if I provide the CJ's account number, I'll be sweet. Has anyone done this?

need the account holders permission if you were under 18 when you got the CJs number.

I hav found out about Kogan just recently too! im most likely to go kogan as my vodashit plan is up nxt month. cant watch a utube clip without it buffering every 10secs. ive been with vodashit for like 6yrs and they have offered me f**k all but shit reception. A mate of mine says he uses kogan in his galaxy tab and the internet speed is very good. Im gunna give it a go for a month then if its good, i'll go 365plan!!

Edited by bees14a

My sim should be shipped tomorrow... Curious to see what it's like. I've never been on the Telstra network before because they're always ridiculously expensive...

signing up later this month when my credit runs out.. sick of f**king vodaphone changing my plan (they have done it again slippery gyp!)

One MAJOR gripe with thesw guys;

Turn the auto-extend feature on the app/website. When you hit your expiry date, They will cut all sms/calls/data from your service until they process your top up; Its been an hour and a half with no sms or calls or data and the stafus still says 'ordered'. This aint fekkin maccas. Its an easy fekkin process..

So todays bullshit dramas; Its a once off so it apparently won't happen again:

-Kogan had some glitch in their system with those who extended their service (topped up in laymans terms) lastnight at midnight; The glitch took the Kogan Users money for their plans but didnt roll their service over and activate it for the next month.

I lost the ability to call/msg/use internet at midnight.. Its not 630pm and I still don't have an able service.

Today I've been lied to, Treated like a fool, Be littled and just told lies really. I called up first thing in the morning. No one apparently knew what the deal was. Said it would take 5 mins to fix. Called back at 11am and still, Had no able service; Same thing was said and that I was on high priority.

Called back at 1pm and was told there is a "list" you had to be on to get your number looked at; Funnily enough, Even though I rang up the minute their call centres opened (meaning i would of been number 1 on the list), I WAS NOT ON THIS LIST. So I was finally put on the list.

Called back at 430 and still no service.

On hold right now, Been on hold for 20 mins already; Was on hold a total of 1 hour and 58 mins this morning before I got onto them properly and then got lied to.

Yeah, Not happy. Considering I couldn't use the GPS to navigate to jobs today, I had to go to servo's and use a f**king Melways..

Sent them a very lengthy email demanding compensation for this bullshit.

The joys.

if its under your dads name, you cant transfer it.

my mate went through this as he has had the same number since he was 17 and his mum is the current 'owner' of that number and he cant port it til she signs it over.

http://blog.phonesandplans.com.au/kogan-vs-amaysim-the-battle-of-the-sims

read that, pretty interesting, currently with amaysim looking to change over to Kogen, only drawback is have to buy bolt on pacges for international calls/text, doesnt come off bill, like most other providers, i suppose thats okay with viber and whatspps these days

I recently setup mum on a Vaya plan instead of Kogan.

$11 per month on a low useage plan seems to be more than enough in comparison to Kogan.

It was all the same theory as setting as like Kogan, just alot easier and she has had no problems since.

So, after a few months, what is the consensus? I'm thinking of giving vodafone the flick after some recent poor customer service.

i looked a few places over the net and all ive seen is terrible reviews from Aus customers

Guys I know this might be thread hijacking but I think the best value for money plan out there right now is with boost.

They are offering $40 a month unlimited and they have the best reception of all telcos as their network is with Telstra. Kogan is also with Telstra but Kogan is capped onto the EDGE network (2.5G)

Boost however does not have such a restriction and you can access HSDPA almost anywhere. For $40 a month you get unlimited calls/text and 3GB of data. I don't know what more you could possibly ask for ;)

Steer clear of Kogan.

I'm porting out next week to go to another carrier.

Their customer service is shit, their reception is shit, the company as a whole is shit. I'm talking from experience here

Yeah we put my granny on Kogan mobile, and it's shit. Kogan can go eat a dick.