Sign in to follow this  
bluereality5

Mighty Car Mods - 180SX Drift Car *UPDATED 21st Feb* NEW VIDEO

Yeah but i think safety is a distant second reason to be installing a harness in a silvia after the number one reason; holding the driver in the driving position.

as true as that maybe, its hardly that expensive to do it right. people do crash often at the track.

I am suprised they installed those harnesses so poorly. That setup in a crash would cause all the force to go into the seat and likely break the seat without providng any real safety.

basically, you can't install a harness properly without a harness bar or roll cage. stock seat belt points on silvia are too low to be useful.

harness-bars-install-diagram-Install4CWeb.jpg

All good points and was not properly explained in the video. The problem with the episode from a production point of view was the editing out of a section in the video where Marty talks only using the factory seat belts (which were left in) without a proper cage (a mod planned for a later stage if its decided to take it more seriously). It has since been fixed in an updated version of the video because on looking back at it, it looks like the harness is a complete replacement for the front seat belts, which it was not. Cheers guys.

Edited by bluereality5

Nice dig at the CA... haters. +1 for Ep 2.

haters gonna hate Dan :D

Why does it have flares and then just r34 wheels?

Good point, bit disappointing that they purposely made the car look like a POS. They could of made it look good on a budget.

They re uploaded it without anything about racing harnesses lol

Cracks me up how they always have to lick everything

Edited by nissanqld

Good point, bit disappointing that they purposely made the car look like a POS. They could of made it look good on a budget.

Agreed. Unless you are going to fill those flares you may as well have kept the Enkei's with standard guards. And Its obviously a track car and therefore who gives a shit about appearances etc etc but it would have taken so little time with an electric sander to prep the body a little better for paint.

I think you guys focus on the wrong aspects of this show sometimes.

Honestly, who cares if they painted over some peeled old paint, have you seen how most drift cars look after a few events? Especially with novice drivers.

Plus the car is "supported" by various sponsors, not fully funded by them so maybe rattle can was all they could afford. I'm sure the guys have more to do with their time than spend hours prepping the paint on a missle car for Marty to bend.

I think the flares look awesome and I'm pretty sure if you cared about your James Bond effect you'd agree.

I don't think anyone really cares what they did with the paint. Hawkins goes on about function over form etc and then they cut the guards, put some really bad flares on it and put r34 wheels that wouldn't have even filled the standard guards. Anyway another great vid. Keen for the next one.

I couldn't wait until I got home so I just watched it at work lol

It only got 176kw, I thought with the disco it would get 190kw easy?

Looking forward to next Episode :thumb:

I don't think it was tuned though? Just wound the wick up.

I think you guys focus on the wrong aspects of this show sometimes.

Honestly, who cares if they painted over some peeled old paint, have you seen how most drift cars look after a few events? Especially with novice drivers.

Plus the car is "supported" by various sponsors, not fully funded by them so maybe rattle can was all they could afford. I'm sure the guys have more to do with their time than spend hours prepping the paint on a missle car for Marty to bend.

I think the flares look awesome and I'm pretty sure if you cared about your James Bond effect you'd agree.

+1

I don't really care but i just thought it was something they haven't done before, like they have done the whole make the car look crappy before it would have been cool to show people that you can make a car look good on a budget, like a KISS kinda thing. Maybe even show there taste on what looks good etc.

Its a entertaining show to watch either way though. :)

Yeah fair point, I was hoping if the rattle canned it, they'd just go white or black, the green is an... Interesting choice.

Still looks better than lots of drift cars getting around and maybe Marty has to earn a better paint job need for speed style by pulling mad skids and linking corners.

The green works for me, painting the RB copy rear wing black would've made it stand out a little more.

Agreed. Unless you are going to fill those flares you may as well have kept the Enkei's with standard guards. And Its obviously a track car and therefore who gives a shit about appearances etc etc but it would have taken so little time with an electric sander to prep the body a little better for paint.

The wheels on it sit 65mm out further than the Enkei wheels, so didn't fit in standard guards by a long shot. Had to cut metal and put over fenders. Don't need $2000 rims with fully hectic off-set to go drifting

I don't think anyone really cares what they did with the paint. Hawkins goes on about function over form etc and then they cut the guards, put some really bad flares on it and put r34 wheels that wouldn't have even filled the standard guards. Anyway another great vid. Keen for the next one.

Actually, there is an extra 65mm of track thanks to 4-5 stud +25mm conversion hubs and a mod to the lower arms ( which isn't shown incase people copy it and stuff it up in their street car ).

Those R34 wheels in no way fit inside the standard guards so had to cut. Cheapest and easiest thing to do was those fender flares.

Just cos' they are there doesn't mean you need to fill them. Don't need +5 offset hectic wheels to drift.

I couldn't wait until I got home so I just watched it at work lol It only got 176kw, I thought with the disco it would get 190kw easy? Looking forward to next Episode :thumb:

correct. Injectors out of flow and just below factory boost cut so that's all it makes.

Needs injectors and ECU to make more but capable of 210-230rwkW

agreed flares ruin the carm shouldve just flared the stock gaurds, i made my -25 wheels almost fit with a trolley pole, and couldve made a 100% fit if i cut the seam in the rear guards.

It was another great vid on the other hand tho.

I think we should be a a little less skepticle on everything these guys do and just enjoy it for what it is

FREE ENTERTAINMENT I hope they keep up the good work for a long time to come

I think we should be a a little less skepticle on everything these guys do and just enjoy it for what it is

FREE ENTERTAINMENT I hope they keep up the good work for a long time to come

+1

Actually, there is an extra 65mm of track thanks to 4-5 stud +25mm conversion hubs and a mod to the lower arms ( which isn't shown incase people copy it and stuff it up in their street car ).

Those R34 wheels in no way fit inside the standard guards so had to cut. Cheapest and easiest thing to do was those fender flares.

Just cos' they are there doesn't mean you need to fill them. Don't need +5 offset hectic wheels to drift.

I couldn't wait until I got home so I just watched it at work lol It only got 176kw, I thought with the disco it would get 190kw easy? Looking forward to next Episode thumb.gif

correct. Injectors out of flow and just below factory boost cut so that's all it makes.

The boys going to go NISTUNE and bigger injectors?

The boys going to go NISTUNE and bigger injectors?

Think it will stay as-is for the guys for now. Good learning car

I couldn't wait until I got home so I just watched it at work lol It only got 176kw, I thought with the disco it would get 190kw easy? Looking forward to next Episode thumb.gif

I was gonna say, where did the magical -65mm in offset come from with stock skyline wheels haha.

Actually, there is an extra 65mm of track thanks to 4-5 stud +25mm conversion hubs and a mod to the lower arms ( which isn't shown incase people copy it and stuff it up in their street car ). Those R34 wheels in no way fit inside the standard guards so had to cut. Cheapest and easiest thing to do was those fender flares. Just cos' they are there doesn't mean you need to fill them. Don't need +5 offset hectic wheels to drift.
I couldn't wait until I got home so I just watched it at work lol It only got 176kw, I thought with the disco it would get 190kw easy? Looking forward to next Episode :thumb:
correct. Injectors out of flow and just below factory boost cut so that's all it makes. Needs injectors and ECU to make more but capable of 210-230rwkW
I was gonna say, where did the magical -65mm in offset come from with stock skyline wheels haha.

Front LCA inner pivot was moved 20mm upwards and 30mm outwards. Combine this with 25mm spacer and better off-set of the 34 wheel and extra 65mm of track :)

This wasn't shown in the video due to internet warriors who might whinge and dumb kids who will mess it up in their road car.

IMG_1667.JPG

How is it ghetto? The metal is same thickness through that entire section of cross member and a hole is a hole? As ghetto as factory!

Surprised nore people dont do it as it gives 20mm roll centre adjustment and 30mm extra track!

And its free!

Requires S14 tie rods and re-drill swaybar mount.

Difference of opinions I guess, I'd class straight up drilling through factory metal when you can achieve the same results with adjustable arms as a bit ghetto, it's free and it's effective. Same as the new paint job, ghetto as.

You might be misconstruing my version of "ghetto" as being a negative thing, I didn;t say it was weak/wrong/or bad. You should take a look through my build thread...

Hence the "I love it."

You might be a CA basher, but we're in agreement on this one.

This wasn't shown in the video due to internet warriors who might whinge and dumb kids who will mess it up in their road car.

Whoever actually goes to MCM for real advice should stay away from cars, but then again I understand where your coming from. Their forum is just filled with people who think head unit and speaker upgrades are a major modification.

They are an entertainment show either way.

everybody should donate $1 to watch each episode. it'd help the boys out and we all love what they do, so why not encourage more videos!